“Design is a potent strategic tool that companies can use to gain sustainable competitive advantage” – wrote marketing guru Philip Kotler in an article co-authored with G. Alexander Rath in 1984. At that time, Design (Thinking) was limited to a few firms, such as IBM and Herman Miller, who were extremely successful in their own sectors. In the subsequent decades, Design proliferated into Product Design, then moving into Service Design and finally into Business Design itself. A wide range of companies such as Mayo Clinic, SAP, ING Bank, Starbucks, Hyundai, Samsung, Procter and Gamble, Whirlpool, Philips, Pepsi, Braun deployed Design Thinking with great success, delivering consistently higher performance than their peers. Digital native companies such as Google, Amazon, Facebook, Uber, Airbnb made Design Thinking an integral part of their way of working.
Why is Design Thinking so important in today's age? The Digital Age and the Pandemic have greatly accelerated the shift to Experience Economy. All customers and stakeholders seek out exceptional experiences while trying to achieve their desired outcomes by using products and services available in the market.
At the same time, pace of technical innovation is increasing. Technology driven business model changes have ensured that intense competition and can come from totally unexpected quarters. Success in market requires a clear combination of technology, experience orientation and radical innovation. What is needed is a re-think of what is on offer, how it is done and why.
Design Thinking is a powerful, proven tool available to business leaders to tackle these challenges. It consists of processes, techniques and mindsets for creatively solving problems in a human centric, holistic fashion. As Prof Roger Martin says, “Businesspeople do not need to understand Design better. They need to be Designers themselves”.
This programme will help you achieve far higher levels of job satisfaction by contributing to your organization at a significantly higher level in an innovative and creative manner. It will open pathways to determine unstated and hidden issues as well as give you the wherewithal to deal with continuously evolving business, technology and people landscape.
Who should attend this programme ?
Design skill is crucial not just for product or service managers. Need for creative, innovative, high value solutions is required everywhere and can add great value in all line and staff functions.
Practicing professionals across industries and businesses - covering private, public and non-profit sectors seeking to enhance their performance through human-centric creative and innovative approaches to succeed in this digital world will benefit from this programme.
The faculty members, B-Schools and Engineering and other HEI's Students (currently pursuing as well as pass outs) will also find this programme immensely valuable.
Programme Duration and Flow
This programmeis of 3 months duration having 30 Instructional Hours with a few session exclusively conducted in workshop format. In addition to the 30 hours, participants would need to invest additional time in project activities which are an integral part of the learning process. The first batch is starting from March 2022 onwards.
Mode of delivery
The sessions will be offered during weekends in online live (Synchronous) mode.
Participants will gain an understanding of Design Thinking, what it is, why it is important in todays age, how to apply Design Thinking to solving real life problems, skills necessary to succeed in Design exercises and Agile way of executing Design projects.
Participants will be able to contribute to Design projects as team members or use processes, techniques and mindsets themselves in all spheres of activities to deliver more meaningful results to their stakeholders.
The programme will help participants
- Develop an understanding of Design Thinking concepts
- Appreciate underlying psychological and philosophical background
- Understand various skills needed to successfully work on Design Thinking
- Learn Design Thinking processes, techniques and mindsets
- Learn how to
- understand the problem space
- identify unmet and unstated problems
- Creatively generate alternative solutions and select the most suitable candidates
- Create prototypes and obtain user feedback
- Design solutions which are desirable, feasible and viable
- Practice Design Thinking by applying the method to real life problems
- Understand how Design projects can be executed in an organization in an agile manner
The programme will include lectures, audio-visual presentations, discussions, exercises and a project that will run throughout the length of the programme.
The learning material will consist of presentations, videos and reading materials. The presentation and reading material copies will be provided to participants.
- The Design of Business by Roger Martin
- Change by Design by Tim Brown
- Design of Every Day Things by Don Norman
- Jobs To Be Done by Anthony M Ulwick
Assessment & Certification
The participants will be assessed in the basis of the Formative and Summative assessments and the assignment. The we ight age of the s ame would be : Summative Assessment/Final Exam: 70%; Assignment: 30%
Upon successful completion of the programme, the participants will be awarded with “Certificate of Success” by All India Management Association.
Programme Director / Lead Faculty
Mr. Uday Gharpure is a transformational leader with more than 39 years of experience in the industry, building and growing global businesses, playing a wide range of roles including COO and Managing Director. He is an active practitioner of Design Thinking. His extensive experience in Design Thinking includes:
- Using Design Thinking to transform entire organization to an innovative, agile way of working and create differentiated service offerings
- Building Design Thinking training and project team
- Training hundreds of professionals in own and client organizations
- Training and Leading Design Thinking consulting teams for several projects and engagements for global customers in various industry sectors such as Banking, Insurance, Manufacturing, Utilities, Media
Currently he is involved in teaching Design Thinking and Design Thinking Driven Consulting in top management institutes such as IIM Indore, SPJIMR Mumbai, NMIMS Indore as well as to corporate clients.
- The Foundation
- Understand concepts of Experiences and Outcomes
- Get an introduction to Design Thinking
- Appreciate some of the underlying psychological and philosophical concepts
- Learn some basic skills needed to succeed in design thinking
- The Process and its Practice
- Empathy: In this mode the Design team develops a deep understanding of the problem space across multiple dimensions. Human centricity of Design Thinking means People are at the center of this mode. Ethnographic techniques help develop a better understanding of the customers and stakeholders
- Define: Quantitative and qualitative analysis of the empathy data collected by the Design team helps identify unmet and unstated needs and problems. This leads to definition and re-framing of problem statements setting up the stage for creativity and innovation
- Ideate: Creative ideation allows exploration of a wide range of solutions which could solve the problems unearthed in earlier modes
- Prototype: Visual Thinking, storytelling and fail forward are important concepts in Design Thinking leading to the the Prototyping mode.
- Test: Design Thinking embodies collaboration with customers and stakeholders. Testing the prototypes with customers and stakeholders and obtaining their feedback gives an opportunity to enlist customers in the design process.
- Applying Design Thinking and Agile in an organization
- This module will cover how Design projects can be conceived, planned and executed in an organization. Integration of Design Thinking and Agile methodologies will benefit organizations in tackling competitive challenges in the Digital age as well as in institutionalizing Design thinking paradigm within the organization.
The programme fees for this course is Rs 29,500/-
(including GST @18%) which include cost of Course Learning Material & Examination fees